I learn so many new things in my therapy sessions, but I often don’t remember it all OR don’t start using what I learned.
So when my psychiatrist or therapist suggest a book to read or a workbook, I know it’s something that will help me work through my mental health struggles.
If you look on Amazon, there are tons of workbooks for Anxiety, Depression, PTSD and other mental illnesses. But you don’t want to waste your money, so I have compiled a list of workbooks I know to be worthwhile.
This post contains affiliate links. Read our full affiliate and disclosure policy here.
Books Psychologists Recommend
*Note: If I am looking for a book that has information about mental illness and how to cope with it, I make sure it is written by a mental health professional (usually either a M.D. or licensed therapist.)
This list is either something I have personally used or one of my mental health care professionals have recommended throughout my years of treatment.
Best Workbooks for Depression
Living with depression can feel like you are under a heavy and dark cloud and it’s hard to carry all of the feelings that depression causes. Having effective coping strategies to work through your depression is key to making a better life for yourself. These cognitive behavioral therapy workbooks can put you on a path to wellness.
Best CBT Books for Anxiety
To outsiders, anxiety can look irrational. But to those of us who experience anxiety it is very real and hard to control. Along with the right treatment from a licensed professional (which may include meds and therapy), cognitive behavioral therapy workbooks are very helpful.
Best PTSD Workbook
There are many reasons someone develops Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Past harmful and extremely life-changing experiences make it hard to see life from a hopeful and happy perspective. The following cognitive behavioral therapy workbooks teach you techniques to work through your symptoms and ways to improve the quality of life for you.
10. The Complex PTSD Workbook: A Mind-Body Approach to Regaining Emotional Control and Becoming Whole
Bipolar Disorder CBT Workbooks
Learning how to live with Bipolar Disorder can be challenging. Since you don’t how or when to expect future manic or depressive episodes, you have to be proactive. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy along with the right medications are key to managing your diagnosis.
11. The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder: Using DBT to Regain Control of Your Emotions and Your Life
12. The Bipolar Disorder Workbook: Powerful Tools and Practical Resources for Bipolar II and Cyclothymia
Workbooks for OCD Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder can be extremely disrupting to your life. It is a difficult medical condition to live with but there are many cognitive behavioral therapy techniques that can teach you how to work through the symptoms of your illness. These CBT workbooks are a great place to start.
17. The Complete OCD Workbook: A Step-by-Step Guide to Free Yourself from Intrusive Thoughts and Compulsive Behaviors
Therapy Workbooks for Borderline Personality Disorder
19. The Borderline Personality Disorder Workbook: An Integrative Program to Understand and Manage Your BPD
Read About More Mental Health Strategies . . .
- 14 Top (Binge-Worthy) Podcasts About Mental Health
- SAD Lights Reviews [Best Light Therapy Lamps For Depression On Amazon]
- 15 Anxiety Mental Health Apps (That Will Give You A Healthy Boost)
- Top-Notch Resource Guide For Overcoming Anxiety And Dealing With Depression
- 60+ Thoughtful Gift Ideas For Someone With Depression
Living with a mental illness is hard. Period.
But there is hope for all of us. We just have to keep working and continue whatever treatment (meds, therapy, support groups) our mental health care professional prescribes. Recovering, improving, or stabilizing our mind and body requires constant effort.