This is not your everyday list of encouraging quotes about bravery, courage, and strength.
You see, a lot of inspirational quotes are what I call-fluff. They are nice to hear if you are in a temporary struggle. But living with a chronic illness or mental illness means a permanent struggle or hardship.
So we need quotes that offer us more than just fluffy happy feelings. We need encouraging quotes that can keep us going during the hardest times. Times that are not always temporary.
I want a good quote about bravery, courage, or strength to encourage me that there is something good and desired from going through the constant hardships we go through.
This post contains Amazon and other affiliate links. This just means that at no extra cost to you I receive a small commission if you purchase something through the links in this post. This is one of the ways I support my family and blog. Read my full disclosure policy.
Encouraging quotes about bravery
Bravery through adversity for chronic illness warriors
- You can’t be brave if you’ve only had wonderful things happen to you. — Mary Tyler Moore
- Bravery is believing in yourself, and that thing nobody can teach you. –El Cordobes
- Gold is tried by fire, brave men by adversity. –Seneca
- It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog. –Mark Twain
- The ideal man bears the accidents of life with dignity and grace, making the best of circumstances. –Aristotle
- Turn your wounds into wisdom. —Oprah Winfrey
- Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are. —Arthur Golden
- We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey. —Kenji Miyazawa
Quotes about Courage That are Inspirational
The Best courage quotes for someone living with a chronic illness
- You have to accept whatever comes and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best that you have to give. –Eleanor Roosevelt
- Courage conquers all things: it even gives strength to the body. –Ovid
- “There is no need to be ashamed of tears, for tears bear witness that a man has the greatest of courage, the courage to suffer.” –Viktor Frankl
- A strong person is not the one who doesn’t cry. A strong person is one who is quiet and sheds tears for a moment, and then picks up her sword and fights again. –Unknown
- The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling,but in rising every time we fall. –Nelson Mandela
- One step back doesn’t mean you are defeated, it only means that you are going to take the same step forward again, but this time wiser. –Unknown
- Often the test of courage is not to die but to live. -Vittorio Alfieri
Quotes about Strength To Leave You Inspired
Encouraging strength quotes for the chronically ill
- The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places –Ernest Hemingway
- That which does not kill us makes us stronger. –Friedrich Nietzsche
- “There are two ways of exerting one’s strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up.” –Booker T. Washington
- “Nothing is more beautiful than the smile that has struggled through the tears.” –Demi Lovato
- “Hard times don’t create heroes. It is during the hard times when the ‘hero’ within us is revealed.” –Bob Riley
- Gather strength from life’s storms. –Jonathan Lockwood Huie
- I’m not afraid of storms for I’m learning how to sail my ship. –Louisa May Alcott
- With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. – Eleanor Roosevelt
- Choose rather to be strong of soul than strong of body.-Pythagoras
- A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles. –Christopher Reeve
- Where there is no struggle, there is no strength. –Oprah Winfrey
- Honor your being, Release each and every struggle, Gather strength from life’s storms, Relax into the arms of spirit. –Jonathan Lockwood Huie
- Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. –Mohandas Gandhi
- Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you. –Unknown
- An oak is not felled at one stroke.
My favorite bravery, courage, and strength quotes
- Sometimes you don’t realize your own strength until you come face to face with your greatest weakness. –Susan Gale
- You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have. –Unknown
- Strength isn’t about how much you can handle before you break, it’s about how much you can handle after you break. –Unknown
- Heart Circle My strength is made perfect in weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9
- Heart Circle Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.” –Mary Anne Radmacher
- Heart Circle When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. —Ralph Waldo Emerson
I believe that we are chronic illness warriors. We don’t have a choice to opt out of this battle. Each day we wake up and push through. We need to arm ourselves with encouraging quotes about bravery, courage, and strength for the days that pushing through does not look pretty. But, we strive to make the most out of life and not just survive.
Living with a chronic illness can leave us in tears some days. But if you listen through the tears, you might just hear a quiet roar. That’s the warrior’s cry.