Coming up with thoughtful gifts for someone with depression can be challenging, especially around the holidays. Believe me, I know! In this Ultimate Gift Guide (of the best gifts for depression,) you will find some spectacular and unique ideas that will surprise you and delight someone who is dealing with depression.
Are you looking for gifts to help with depression or simply for gifts for someone feeling down?
In this comprehensive gift guide, you will find a thoughtful present for someone with depression or other mental illnesses. You might even find some must-have gift ideas that you want to put on your own Wish List!
This post contains Amazon and other affiliate links. This just means that at no extra cost to you I receive a small commission if you purchase something through the links in this gift guide. You can also read my full disclosure policy.
✅ The Best Thoughtful Gifts for Someone with Depression
Anyone can just buy a quick gift, wrap it up, and give it (and sometimes that is what the circumstances call for.) But really putting some thought and adding some personalization to a gift for someone with depression, can really make a depressed person feel loved. Because although you may not understand exactly what they are going through, you can be supportive and compassionate. Sometimes, that is all we need–to feel excepted for who we are.
These fill-in-the-blank gift journals are such special and unique gifts for a depressed friend or loved one! Get creative, quirky, and think outside-the-box! It takes some time and real thought to complete the journal, but I guarantee this will be a treasured gift that will appreciated by someone who is dealing with depression. (✅ check price, read the reviews and compare)
2. Encouraging Cards You Send By Snail Mail
In the high-tech society we live in, we often don’t think of actually putting a thoughtful card or gift in the mail. Text, email, Facebook, Twitter can dominate our mode of communication and make it less personal when we do reach out to a depressed friend. There is something about a hand-written letter, card, or postcard that feels so much more thoughtful when received. (Plus it is one of the most budget-friendly gifts you can find!)
The next time you think of reaching out to someone you care about who is suffering from depression, use these beautiful encouragement cards.
A great idea (and one of the best gifts for depressed people) would be to buy a pack of encouraging postcards and set a reminder for yourself to send one every few weeks or months.
Peel this cheerful sticky notes off one at a
4. Love Bombs
These gifts do double duty. They are not just thoughtful gifts for someone with depression or any other mental illness, these are gifts that can actually help your friend deal with depression.
Journaling is a known CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) technique for working through depression that therapists often recommend. Keeping a journal has many benefits in dealing with depression and is a helpful gift for depressed people. Check out this Amazon Idea List for Best Journals for Depression.
These are some great gifts to help with depression!
In a hurry?
My favorite is One Page At A Time: A Daily Creative Companion by Adam J. Kurtz.
- Rage Page: A Journal for the Bad Days by John T
- You are Worth More than Your Darkness
- Start Where You Are: A Journal for Self-Exploration by Meera Patel
- Let That Sh*t Go: A Journal for Leaving Your Bullsh*t Behind and Creating a Happy Life by Monica Sweeney
- Getting to Good: A Guided Journal by Elena Welsh, PhD
- The 100-Day Self-Discovery Journal: Breakthrough Journal Writing Prompts for Self-Exploration by Mackenzie Reed
- Ups and Downs: A Journal for Good and Not-So-Good Days by Doro Otterman
You can really have fun picking journaling pens for a depressed friend! There are so many colors, types, and designs you will probably have a hard time choosing. You may also decide to get yourself some.
These are the top Amazon Picks for Best Journaling Pens. They are Amazon Prime eligible and have 4+ Star Reviews.
Over the years my doctors have recommended several different workbooks for depression. This book, (How to Be Happy (or At Least Less Sad) Creative Workbook,) is the first one I would actually do. I haven’t bought it yet, but the sample pages show the creativity and uniqueness that make me want to buy it.
- 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works by Dan Harris
- Things Are What You Make of Them: Life Advice for Creatives by Adam J. Kurtz
- You Are a Badass®: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero
- Pick Me Up: A Pep Talk for Now and Later by Adam J. Kurtz
✅ Top 4 OVERALL WINNERS in Best Gifts to Help Depression:
The next 4 gift ideas for someone with depression, might be considered more luxury gift items because their price points are higher. But, if your goal is to give a gift of monumental value (of not just thoughtfulness, but actual helpfulness), then these gift ideas are what you need!
8. Muse: The Brain-Sensing Headband
The “Muse” is a device designed to improve your health through meditation, deep breathing, relaxation, and increased focus. It guides you through learning the best practices for effective meditation and keeps track of your progress. It does require an additional subscription to access all the data and features and many of the 1-star reviews are because of this. The manufacturer should make it more clear in the description. There is also a newer improved version of the product, The Muse 2. ✅ (Read reviews, check current prices, and get more info)
Weighted blankets have been scientifically proven to help you sleep better because it gives the simulation of being hugged. The general recommendation is that you should choose a blanket that weighs at least 10% of your body weight.
Buying tip: weighted blankets can make you hot. The use of glass beads
This blanket has a unique 7-layer that comfortably shapes around your body with more glass beads and less fiber content that helps with temperature control. It comes with a 3 year free mending warranty.
✅ Amazon’s Choice of Weighted Blankets (Different Price-Points)
Degrees of Comfort Weighted Blanket w/ Coolmax for Hot & Cold Sleepers|Nano-Ceramic Beads
DoDow Sleep Aid
Have trouble with anxiety? Here are 15 Mental Health Apps for Anxiety.
I have had a sleep
I have had my SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) Light for over 10 years and I can vouch that this really makes a difference for me with my mood. I don’t just use it in the Winter. I also use it when we have several days of rain or overcast weather.
Not all SAD lights are created equal, though. You need to know what to look for and do a good bit of research so that you actually are helped, not harmed, and don’t waste your money. That’s why I created the Ultimate Guide for Sad Lights Reviews for Depression. Read it HERE.
✅ Self-Care Gifts for Someone Depressed
Self-Care gift baskets are lots of fun to give. You can go the DIY route and create your own gift baskets for someone with depression. Or you can purchase a pre-made one. They are both great gift ideas for someone with depression.
✅ COMPARE TOP 10 FAVORITE SELF-CARE GIFT BASKETS
13. DIY Self-Care Gift Basket
Rather a DIY Self-Care Gift Basket? Here are some phenomenal SELF-CARE items to use for a unique and thoughtful gift for someone depressed.
- Bath Bombs— (Get ✅ Best Price)
- Infusion Water Bottle— (Get ✅ Best Price)
- Sleep Tight Cards – 45 Meditation and Mindfulness Cards for Bedtime
- Himalayan Salt Body Scrub— (Get ✅ Best Price)
- Massage Ball — (Get ✅ Best Price)
- O’Keeffe’s for Healthy Feet Foot Cream
- Sleep Headphones Head Band –(Get ✅ Best Price)
- Silicone Scalp Massager — (Get ✅ Best Price)
- Aromatherapy Diffuser Necklace — (Get ✅ Best Price)
- Acupuncture Massage Flip Flops — (Get ✅ Best Price)
- Amope Pedi Foot File
- Stress Less Cards – 50 Mindfulness & Meditation Exercises
- Lava Stone Essential Oil Diffuser Bracelet –(Get ✅ Best Price)
A gift for someone with depression that actually helps them cope with it is an awesome gesture.
Using affirmations is a great way to practice self-care. It is a great gift both encouraging and therapeutic to give a depressed person.
- Empowering Questions Cards – 52 Cards for Meditation, Writing, or Journaling ✅ Get More Info
Affirmators! 50 Affirmation Cards to Help You Help Yourself – Without The Self- Helpy-Ness! ✅ Get More Info
- Power Thought Cards: A 64 Card Deck (Box Set)
✅ Get More Info
- How to Love Yourself Cards: A Deck of 64 Affirmations Cards ✅ Get More Info
- I Am Stronger Than . . .
Affirmators! Book (✅ SEE PRICE!) Affirmators! Journal: A Self-Help Journal without the Self- Helpy-Ness! (✅ SEE PRICE!)
- You Are a Badass®: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life (✅ SEE PRICE!)
- Pick Me Up: A Pep Talk for Now and Later (✅ SEE PRICE!)
- The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are (✅SEE PRICE!)
18. Mood Journal and Colorful Pens
45 Meditation and Mindfulness Cards for Bedtime (SEE PRICE)
50 Mindfulness & Meditation Exercises (SEE PRICE)
A little bit (or a whole lot) of comfort is always needed when you are suffering from depression. ✅ Check out this Amazon Idea List for Comforting Gifts for Someone Feeling Down or Depressed.
Teddy bears aren’t just for kids, you know! Having a stuffed animal to snuggle with can be a real comfort when you are feeling depressed.
So many great ideas for encouraging gifts for people with depression, you won’t be able to choose! Inspirational jewelry, books, household items, and keepsakes are all great choices. Smiling Wisdom has some beautiful choices of these types of gifts.
A cup of coffee in an encouraging mug (first thing in the morning0 is a great way to start your day! Just imagine how that would make someone who deals with depression feel – Loved, Encouraged, & Hopeful!
✅ See our reader’s Favorite Mugs for encouraging someone with depression!
28. Inspirational Jewelry for Someone with Depression
- Storms Don’t Last Forever -Depression Awareness Bangle Bracelet (Silver) ✅ See Today’s Price
- “I am a Warrior in an Invisible Battle” Inspirational Necklace ✅ See Today’s Price
- “My Story Isn’t Over” Sterling Silver Heart Semicolon Ring ✅See Today’s Price
- “You are Braver than You Believe Copper Charm Bracelet ✅See Today’s Price
- I am Enough Bookmark ✅SEE MORE
- Inspirational Bookmarks Great Gifts for Depression ✅ SEE MORE
- Believe Bookmark ✅SEE MORE
- An Inspirational Colouring Book For Everyone: Be Fearless In The Pursuit Of What Sets Your Soul On Fire (✅Amazon BESTSELLER!)
- Inspirational Collection: An Adult Coloring Book with 175 Coloring Pages of Inspirational Quotes, Motivational Sayings, Positive Affirmations, and More!
- Inspirational Words: An Adult Coloring Book with Fun Word Designs, Cute Kawaii Doodles, and Relaxing Flower Patterns
✅ Special Gift Ideas for Depressed Friend
32. Comfy Earbuds & List of Uplifting Podcasts
Podcasts are great to listen to either on the go on in your comfy spot at home. Here is a great list of 14 Binge-Worthy Mental Health Podcasts. I even created a cute printable for you to give along with the earbuds. Find the download link in this post.
I love my earbuds because the size of the piece that fits into my ear is customizable and the piece that fits in my outer ear keeps it in place. Prices vary greatly, but I am not very picky based on sound quality.
Have a pair of cordless earbuds that are always falling out of your ears?
✅ Here is the solution! EarBuddyz 2.0 Ear Hooks and Covers
A very budget-friendly gift is an inspirational print in a simple frame. Just print it out on your own computer, your favorite print shop, or my go-to for quality printing, Office Depot/OfficeMax.
- “You Never Know How Strong You Are Until Being Strong is the Only Choice You Have” Box Sign Rustic Wood Inspirational Wall Decor
- Inspirational Wall Art-Inkblot: Set of 6-Phrases of Wisdom Unframed Poster Art (8″x10″)
- “One Small Thought in the Morning Can Change Your Whole Day” – Rustic Box Sign (6″x8″)
A gift for someone with depression can be luxurious, like this robe. What is better than cuddling up and surrounding yourself with the softness of a robe? Instant self-hug! And a hooded robe at that. Yes, please!
35. Plush Robe
36. Luxury Blankets
Part of what makes a great gift is to receive something you would not normally splurge on. This ✅ L’Occitane Hand Cream has been one of my favorites for many years. I actually use it as a foot cream as well, (I prefer it to their actual foot cream) [Check Price]
✅ Unique & Quirky Presents for People with Depression
42. Dammit Doll
✅ Fun Gift ideas for Someone Depressed
Sometimes a light-hearted “fun” gift for someone depressed is exactly what your friend or loved one may need. When a person is depressed or feeling down, it is really hard to find joy in ever
52. Buddha Board
Relaxing water painting great for meditation and mindfulness practice. A great hobby to start! (✅ Get More Info, Check Price, read reviews)
A depressed person often can’t get the negative thoughts that run like a tape on replay in their mind to stop. By focusing only on coloring and what color to use next, it allows the mind to escape for a little while.
Amazon has a ton of awesome choices in adult coloring books for great prices.
56. Colored Pencils for Adults
✅ My favorite color pencils are the twistable ones by Crayola because I don’t have to stop and sharpen as I color.
57. Adult Coloring Markers
58. Adult Coloring Pens
✅ Reader Favorites [Mega-List]: 150+ Best Gifts for People with Depression
Our readers have spoken! Here is a ✅ Mega List of Most Wanted Gifts for People with Depression.
I would love to hear if you have any suggestions to add to this list!
Finding the perfect gift for either a friend or a loved one with depression should no longer be a challenge for you. Whether it is a Christmas, Birthday, or Just Because occasion, use this gift guide and you will surely find the perfect gifts for people with depression that they will most definitely treasure.
Want instant access to my FREE Mental Health Resources and Printables? Just click the button below to get the super secret password and download as many as you like!
- Awesome Gifts for People with Arthritis and Other Chronic Illnesses
- 11 Phenomenal Gift for Someone with Chronic Pain
- How to Manage the Holidays with Chronic or Mental Illness
- Chronic Illness Holiday Hacks to Simplify Your Life