Whether you are looking to indulge your creative side, or you just want to find a quick and simple tutorial on how to make affirmation cards, this DIY Affirmation Card tutorial is made for you!
Now, for the sake of this tutorial, I am going to assume you already know the best way to write affirmations. If not (or you want a refresher), check out this post first.
*Before we get started, grab your list of positive affirmations.
The following DIY ideas for making your own affirmation cards are listed from the most simple to “let’s get your creative on.” ✂️
This post contains Amazon and other affiliate links. This just means that at no extra cost to you I receive a small commission if you purchase something through the links in this post. This is one of the ways I support my blog & family. Read my full disclosure policy.
✅ Affirmation Cards DIY Idea #1 (Quick & Easy)
Don’t be fooled by the simplicity of this tutorial! And definitely don’t think your affirmation cards will be ugly!
There are some seriously amazing lined index cards you can purchase from Amazon. Tons of styles and some even come with their own attached ring! Of course, you can easily find index cards that are spiral bound too.
✂️ Tools & Supplies
- List of positive affirmations (Need help? Read Positive Affirmations to Say Every Day)
- Lined 3.5in by 5in. index cards
- Pen or Marker
- Hole punch
- Colored Pens, Pencils, or Markers
- Fancy index cards like these (Vera Bradley Study Buddy Index Cards)
- Different Shaped Hole Punchers
This is the simplest method of creating your own affirmation cards and most likely the right one for you if you are short on time and function is your priority. (I could totally see this as the choice my
- Write one positive affirmation on each index card.
- Punch a hole in the top left corner of the index card.
- Slide an O-ring into the hole and attach all of your affirmation cards.
✅ DIY Affirmation Cards Idea #2 (Make Your Own from Scratch)
This DIY affirmation card idea if you want your affirmation cards to have more color and character. It also gives you more flexibility to choose the size of your DIY affirmation cards. This is still a quick and easy option, but it is more pleasing to the eye!
✂️ Tools & Supplies
- List of your own affirmations
- Cardstock (Bright White or Colored)
- Colorful Pens, Pencils, or Markers
*Optional Supplies: different shape hole punches, and O-Ring, decorative stamps, embellishments.
- Use the pencil and the ruler to draw the border of the affirmation card.
- Use scissors to cut out the affirmation card. (For a more creative look, make one side of the affirmation card white and cut out and glue a colored cardstock to the back.
- Write your affirmation on each card. Decorate using pens, pencils, or markers. (Extra points if you want to add doodles or stickers.
- You can keep your DIY affirmation cards separate or punch a hole in each of them and connect with an O-ring.
✅ DIY Idea #3 (Use Affirmation Card Templates)
This option is super easy, yet you can still make it personal. I have created an affirmation card template (for free) that you can download and use. It’s bright and colorful. If you would prefer to use your own color choices, check out my Affirmations Starter Kit.
✂️ Tools & Supplies
- Your list of positive affirmations.
- A computer
- A printer
- Blank paper
- Pen or Marker
*Optional: Decorative hole punches, stickers, or bullet journal icon drawing templates (✅ these are the ones I use.)
- Download the affirmation cards template.
- Print the templates out.
- Use a pen or marker to write out your positive affirmations.
- Add decorative elements like stickers, drawing doodles, or bullet journal icons if you like.
- Cut out affirmation cards.
- Choose whether you want to hole punch each card and join them or if you want to leave them separate as a set.
✅ Additional DIY Ideas for Your Affirmation Cards
1. Create a Special Box for Your DIY Affirmation Cards
- This craft wooden box from Darice is
- I prefer to use FolkArt chalk paint on my wooden craft projects.
- Add flat-back craft embellishments to customize the look of your box.
2. Use Drawing Stencils & Templates
- Stencils created specifically for bullet journaling are the perfect size to use for your affirmation cards.
- You will want extra-fine tip markers or pens to use with the stencils.
3. Patterned Scrapbook Paper & Cardstock
If you find a patterned paper you love, but it is really thin, just glue the back of it to a thick cardstock paper (in a coordinating color.) I really love the look of watercolor–Amazon has some very beautiful choices. *Check prices here
4. Laminate Your DIY Affirmation Cards
You can go to a printing store like FedEx/Kinkos or OfficeDepot and use their laminating services.
If you just have a small amount and want to be able to quickly and easily laminate other projects, then one of these two things
- Self-sealing Laminating Sheets use
adhesivethat doesn’t require a laminator machine. (These can be pricey.) *See today’s price on Amazon
- Amazon has great deals on the best laminator machine for home. If you will do more frequent laminating, you might prefer having your own machine. They are not expensive at all and it ends up costing you less per square inch than the pouches mentioned above.
5. Use Ticky Tack to Hang Your DIY Affirmation Cards
✅ Idea #4 (The Easiest ) How to Make Your Own Affirmation Cards
Get more info about my Affirmations Starter Kit! I used Mandala elements to create an “adult coloring” customizable version for creating your own affirmation cards.